Wednesday, August 28, 2013




Super Heroes don't always wear capes!  
There are multiple reasons, I don't blog. For starters I am not an excellent writer. I however feel that expressing my gratitude was best done in print. 

The last few days social media has been flooded with opinions and dissatisfaction over a disney star turned bad girl. Miley Cyrus's disgraceful performance has captured the criticism across the web from facebook to blogs. I of course began formulating my opinions and thoughts.  Filled with disgust and participating in discussions of negativity. Not filtering my discussions and openly inserting my insults of Miley Cyrus from my own point of few.  Today at lunch though I was taught a very brief and silent lesson. A lesson I feel the need to share. 




Today I realized that we choose our children's heroes. Miley's little gold spandex underwear is not what heroes wear.  Heroes don't wear capes either.  heroes don't fly, but they are very real and WE AS PARENTS choose them.  You choose who your children have in their lives. You choose who they are surrounded by. You choose the morals your children are raised with.  You choose the language they hear and in turn the language they speak. You have no one to blame but yourself. WE, have no one to blame, but OURSELVES.

Today, I sat in a local restaurant and watched a super hero in action. For a moment I thought it was the S on his chest, but the more I watched I realized that costume was more than a costume. He had real super powers.  Powers to lead, powers to control attention, powers to understand, powers to love...  For a brief moment I realized that this little girl knew who her hero was.  This precious little girl that has been in my life has SUPER HEROES!

I don't care that Miley Cyrus twerked or whatever that was. I'm not screaming at Mtv and boycotting them. I am recognizing that it doesn't bother me because I have chosen differently. The problem with America isn't that we have Miley Cyrus it's that we don't have more men with COURAGE. It's that we don't have more men with STRENGTH. It's that we have dead beat dads and hurting single moms and we get to wrapped up in stupidity. We don't have enough SUPER HEROES!   I struggle, I sometimes fight with letting my life be an example of love and forgiveness. Never before have I struggled with forgiveness like I have in the last month. I recognize though today; My silent lesson is that what Miley does, doesn't effect me. What effects me and the children in my life is "MY ACTIONS" and the actions of those around me.  I'm the EXAMPLE!  I'm the HERO!  I'm the one that is on stage EVERYDAY!  I'm the one they are watching!!!!  

Today I watched a little girl's hand be held by a very large hand as they walked across the parking lot. I sat there in the restaurant watching them leave realizing that I am BLESSED!!!  TRULY BLESSED!!! I have surrounded myself with HEROES!  People of courage, strength and strong moral character!  People who do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do. People who LOVE and recognize it's power.   I'm the LUCKY one!!



No comments:

Post a Comment