Thursday, June 2, 2011

It is WELL... with my soul tribute to my father for his BIRTHDAY!

This morning on my brother's facebook he had something in regards to the old hymn "It is well". I remember as a child my father in a sermon telling the history of the hymn. I remember my father reading the story of Horatio Spafford as the song played in the background quietly. Now I am older and hopefully wiser I even more so realize the significance of the "story" behind the song. The song was written out of tragedy and loss. Financial, death, sickness, and tremendous loss and then he wrote
"IT IS WELL".



"when peace like a river, attendeth my way,"
Stories ring out in one's mind when thinking of my parents. Stories like Job in the Bible. Stories like the story of the hymn It is well, with my soul.
"When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul."

Through sickness, financial hardship, the fire, and now the trials of life my father has always said IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL!!!
Recently my father has been faced with a path that no one would choose. A path that has been difficult and painful. He however has exhibited a peace that passes all understanding. My parents have overcome obstacles and trials and just when he should become a bitter man he becomes a BETTER man. My dad recently has been under attack by a group of people in his community. A group of people not seeking God's will. A group of people angry and mean. Individuals operating out of hatred and bitterness. I have watched my father over the last year deal with these individuals and never say a harsh word about them, to them, or around them. He just continues to seek God's will. My father when asked about the situation says I hope in the end people can see Jesus in me and know that it is well with my soul!

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


Through it all my father still says "IT IS WELL IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL!!!"

Today my father's 60th birthday I reflect on the impact he has had on me and the impact he has had on other's over the years. I am assured that the paths of people's lives in which my father has crossed he has left them with primary message and that is GOD'S LOVE!
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


My father has taught me about Christ not only through his words, but through his actions and life. He has taught me that through every trial there is peace. Through every sorrow there is peace. Through every hurt there is peace. I have learned from my father that when the chaos comes to stop and listen and he will whisper PEACE to my soul.
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.


Recently, with the trials my father is facing and the turmoil around the world. I see pictures of tornado damaged towns and can't help but pray "LORD JESUS, COME QUICKLY!" I think of back a year ago when we stood in the rubble of my parents' burned home and my mother said "It is well, It is well with my soul!" When moment come and tragedy happens finding that peace is so difficult. My father has been an ongoing example to me though of listening for that peace and having a hope beyond the tragedy.
But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!


So, now as I face daily trials and see hurt and pain. I pray that I too may be able to see through and find the peace and know that it is well! I pray that until HE comes I will find PEACE.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


Dad thank you for your EXAMPLE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

2 comments: